The greatest pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him, and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself, too.”
- Comfort us
- Encourage us to get up and move
- Entertain us
- Tear us away from our digital screens
In fact, pet ownership of those of us between 50 and 70 has grown to 54%. Furthermore, the number of folks over 70 who own pets has also been increasing. Wonder how many of those pets are of the canine variety? It seems that about 38% of all households have a pooch.
Sometimes we rescue them, but they end up providing us with more unconditional love and loyal companionship than we could possibly imagine. Sammy, a transplant from warm Mississippi to sometimes frigid Maine, is a doxie mix who really doesn’t like to get his feet wet in a cold New England rain. He loves to walk if the temps are between 60º and 75º and the sun is shining(-: Otherwise, my pockets are full of treats to tempt him to move beyond the end of the driveway. Definitely an inside pooch! He likes to be in my lap as I immerse myself in intriguing mystery novel. Today as I work on this post, he is ensconced in a borrowed doggie bed at my side.
BoomerTECH Adventures’ official mascot is Chobe, a chocolate lab. She supervises the BTA work retreats at Ed’s camp and makes sure we get our daily vitamin D by insisting we come down and watch her in the lake.
You may be wondering why I am writing about the benefits of owning a dog in a blog supposedly dedicated to technology issues of interest to Boomers and Seniors!?! Well, I would just like to remind you of these connections between pet ownership and our digital lives:
• They are a wonderful excuse for experimenting with the various features of our iPhone cameras and the cool editing tools in the Photos app. I have taken almost 200 pictures of dogs with my iPhone. When I do a search for dogs in the Photos app, the software organizes them instantaneously so I can peruse them to find a particular image. As you look at the image below, you will notice the algorithm is not perfect. Sometimes other four-legged creatures are mistaken for dogs.
Screenshot of my search for dogs in the Photos app. Notice the search icon is in the lower right hand corner of the Photos app screen.
I especially like to experiment with Portrait mode on my iPhone camera. It is possible to adjust the lightning effects both in the camera’s portrait mode and in the editing function of Photos. Below is an image of Sammy taken in stage light mono.
Adding effects using editing tools is also great fun. I used the vivid warm effect along with added text and shapes available with Markup to create this image of Dukie. You will find Mark Up once you tap the edit button—look for the circle with three dots and tap.
• Sometimes after reading various online newspapers and blog posts, my blood pressure has shot up and my brain goes on overload. These are not conditions conducive to a good night’s sleep! So I watch funny dog videos: naughty dogs chewing up cushions, loyal dogs greeting their owners, & silly dogs playing. I relax and drift off to slumber land. Just go to YouTube and search funny dog videos. To be honest, I find a lot of these videos on Facebook. Here’s one I found on YouTube. Take a break and get ready to chuckle.
• If you are posting to social media for either personal or business purposes, pictures and stories about dogs is guaranteed to boost the number of hits your post receives. An awfully lot of folks adore images of cute dogs! I know when I post an announcement of this piece to the BoomerTECH Adventures Facebook page , we will receive a lot of engagement.
If you are a cat lover and are still reading this post, let me assure you I love cats as much as dogs. Over the years, a multitude of kitties have owned me. Below is an image of Curious who I lost to old age this summer. Everything I have written about dogs also applies to the wonderful cats in our lives!
Please visit our Facebook page and post an image of your delightful pet!
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1rS22ccn11gtOXY2yp1yRwps
More Free Photo Tips: